This job requires an energetic and social person who enjoys interacting with people of all ages. Our tour program runs six days a week and includes four tours a day. Throughout these tours, our main goals are to educate and entertain our guests while we inform them of our resident animals and the work that we do here. The individual must enjoy talking and teaching and be willing to learn about Costa Rican wildlife and environmental issues. This can be a physically demanding job as you are on your feet all day, in all types of weather.
Here at Alturas, we do not handle our animals nor provide experiences for members of the public to do so, either.
Throughout our low season (September-December) you may have time throughout the day when there is no one booked on the tours. During these times we would ask that you help out with other work around the sanctuary, so please come with an open mind.
Hours: 9am-4:30pm. The current opening only requires someone three days a week, Thursday-Saturday.
- Excellent spoken English (essential)
- Basic knowledge or interest in wildlife (essential)
- Willingness to learn and research Costa Rican wildlife, environmental issues and the history of our resident animals (essential)
- Able to be on your feet for long periods of time (essential)
- Own transportation (essential – we live up a very large hill)
- Experience in public speaking (desirable)
- Ability to speak Spanish (desirable)