Alturas Wildlife Sanctuary operates a dynamic international volunteer program. The Volunteer Program Coordinator will assist the Programs Manager to implement and develop this program and provide high standards of animal welfare to all animals in our care. The role requires a minimum six (6) month commitment. A monthly salary of $400 is provided as well as food and on-site accommodation. The Volunteer Program Coordinator will need to pay for own flight/travel arrangement and travel insurance.
Coordinate the volunteer booking system, which includes:
- Organize volunteer bookings and answer booking enquiries
- Organize volunteer arrival, departure and accommodation schedules
- Organize arrival and departure transport arrangements
- Organize volunteer recreational activities including transport
Coordinate the daily volunteer program, which includes:
- Prepare volunteer accommodation
- Induction of new volunteers
- Train volunteers with daily work activities
- Prepare weekly volunteer work schedule
- Prepare weekly volunteer social and educational activity schedule
- Supervise internship/research students
- Participate in educating volunteers on animal welfare, enrichment and best practice
- Take volunteers on local excursions, social activities and educational tripsAssess and provision for
- individual volunteer needs, emergency medical conditions etc.
- Assist with record keeping and health and safety management
- Assist with animal and volunteer supply ordering
- Assist with the organization social media, marketing and administration needs
Supervise volunteers to carry out daily duties which include:
- Preparing food and feeding animals;
- Cleaning and maintaining enclosures;
- Collecting, creating and providing environmental enrichment items;
- Assisting with enclosure design and construction;
- Grounds maintenance;
- Assisting with public tours and education sessions;
- Preparing educational materials;
- Assisting with clinical operations (dependent on skills/qualifications);
- Assist with data collection and research (dependent on skills/qualifications);
- Assisting with marketing, social media, fundraising and community events;
You will also be required to assist with other activities including:
- Conduct guided sanctuary tours
- Administration tasks
- Orphan care
This position requires an outgoing individual who is well organized, proactive, adaptable and reliable.
Fluency in English, excellent communication skills, conversational Spanish, a valid manual driving license and experience supervising volunteers are essential.
Experience working with captive wildlife or wildlife in rehabilitation is desirable.