Alturas Wildlife Sanctuary operates a dynamic volunteer program. The Assistant Volunteer Coordinator will assist the Volunteer Coordinator to implement and develop this program and provide high standards of animal welfare to all animals in our care.
The Assistant Volunteer Coordinator role is a voluntary position requiring a minimum three (3) month commitment. Food and on-site accommodation will be provided. The Assistant Volunteer Coordinator will need to pay for their own flights/travel arrangements and must have valid personal health/travel insurance.
Assist the Volunteer Coordinator with daily volunteer program coordination which includes:
- Organize volunteer arrival, departure and accommodation schedules
- Prepare accommodation for new arrivals
- Organize arrival and departure transport arrangements
- Induction of new volunteers
- Train volunteers with daily work activities
- Prepare weekly volunteer work schedule
- Prepare weekly volunteer social and educational activity schedule
- Take volunteers on local excursions, social activities and educational trips
- Assist volunteers to organize recreational activities (including transport) on days off
- Supervise internship/research students
- Participate in educating volunteers on animal welfare, enrichment and best practice
- Assist with the organization social media, marketing and administration needs
- Assess and provision for individual volunteer needs, emergency medical conditions etc.
- Assist with record keeping and health and safety management
- Assist with animal and volunteer supply ordering
Supervise volunteers to carry out their daily duties, which include:
- Preparing food and feeding animals;
- Cleaning and maintaining enclosures;
- Collecting, creating and providing environmental enrichment items;
- Assisting with enclosure design and construction;
- Grounds maintenance;
- Assisting education sessions;
- Preparing educational materials;
- Assisting with clinical operations (dependent on skills/qualifications);
- Assist with data collection and research (dependent on skills/qualifications);
- Assisting with marketing, social media, fundraising and community events;
You will also be required to assist with other activities including:
- Conduct guided sanctuary tours
- Administration tasks
- Animal food preparation
- Volunteer food preparation
Note: A stipend will be provided for food costs when taking volunteers out for dinner.
This position requires an outgoing individual who is well organized, proactive, adaptable, reliable and committed to the organizations aims and objectives. Excellent communication skills and fluency in English are essential.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience supervising volunteers, experience working with captive wildlife, ability to converse in Spanish and a valid manual driving license.