Open To The Public
By reservation only
Saturday – Sunday: 9 a.m., 11 a.m.
Duration: 1- 1.5 Hours
|Kids, National (3-12)
|Children under 3
Sanctuary tour prices do not include the 13% IVA tax
Book your tour below. Pay at the Villas Alturas hotel office prior to the tour. Cash or Credit Card Accepted
Please arrive 10 minutes before the tour start time to buy your tickets
We are adhering to protocols to be able to carry out tours as well as ensure the health of our staff.
- We will check your temperature with a non-contact thermometer. Anyone displaying a temperature over 37.8°C/100°F will not be permitted to join our tour.
- There will be a hand wash station upon arrival
- A mask will be required throughout the tour.
We ask all of our visitors to show a certain level of responsibility and ask that any who answers “yes” to either of the following questions, does not join a tour.
- Have you come in contact with anyone showing flu-like symptoms such as cough or shortness of breath, or who has had a temperature of over 37.8°C/100°F in the last 14 days?
- Have you been experiencing any flu-like symptoms yourself in the last 14 days, including a cough, shortness of breath, or a temperature of over 37.8°C/100°F?
The Alturas Wildlife Sanctuary offers tours of the sanctuary from Tuesday to Sunday at 9 am, 11 am, and 1 pm. Tours are offered in English and Spanish (by request). We are closed to the public on Mondays. Tours last between 1 and 1.5 hours and provide information on Alturas Wildlife Sanctuary’s history, our aims and objectives, the animals’ individual stories and our rescue work. Visitors will meet the sanctuary residents while learning about their history, biology and conservation needs. We have a wide variety of animals including: spider monkeys, capuchin monkeys, sloths, anteaters, raccoons, parrots, toucans, raptors, porcupines, and kinkajous. Visitors are not allowed to touch the animals in accordance with Costa Rican law. Many of the animals in our sanctuary have had traumatic experiences at the hands of humans before they came to us, so we try to create a natural captive environment for them with other members of their species. This hands-off policy allows the animals to live in a low stress but naturally enriched environment.
The donations from these tours go directly and completely towards running the sanctuary and rescue center (the latter is not open to visitors as we have to keep human contact to a minimum in order to rehabilitate and release wild animals).
Book your tour below by clicking the "Register" button for any tour. Go to Calendar View
We can provide tours in Spanish however these are not available every day. Please contact us directly to organize a suitable time at